Thursday, August 17, 2006

I feel like a fool

Perhaps I should clarify myself. A couple of days ago, my wisdom teeth were taken out. Thus, I have now lost my wisdom and am a fool. Oh wait... that's just in some ancient Krotelmian legend, isn't it?

Anyway, although I feel none the less wiser than before, my mouth is swollen up and feels quite odd. However, I am immensly pleased at one thing, to wit, that I did not have to be present when they took the teeth out. That's right—they put me to sleep and I don't remember a thing. Even when I woke up I was still partially zonked out, and I don't remember anything clearly until I was at home in the recliner with gauze in my mouth.

I was disappointed, however, that they did not give the teeth back after they removed them (or "yanked 'em" as my friend Keegan would say). What a nice keepsake that would have been...

One piece of information that I wished to obtain is the etymology of the term "wisdom teeth". Did some ancients believe that their wisdom lied in the back of their mouth? Probably not. According to Wikipedia, the term was most likely derived from the fact that they appear in one's mouth long after all the other teeth, at which time you should be wiser than you were as a child. This seems a bit far-fetched to me, but who knows. Maybe even the Krotelmians were right!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home