Saturday, August 5, 2006

Essay for COMPASS

Yesterday I went to Weatherford College to take a test, the COMPASS test to be precise. This fall I am planning to take a couple of classes there for double-enrollment, and in order to do this I had to take this test. If I were in public school there would have been no need for it, since I would have already taken the TAKS test several times. However, seeing as how I'm homeschooled, I was behooved to take a test to prove my knowledge. I could've taken the THEA test, which is similar, but we opted for COMPASS since it is done on a computer, which allows you to get the results immediately.

The first part of the test was reading, which was easy for me. The second part was math, which I am not that good at, but I did my best. Following that was the editing section, and then a writing assignment. None of the test was timed, so I took my time, especially for the math.

I really do wish the computer would have printed out my essay, or at least e-mailed it to me (I gave the thing my e-mail address), but unfortunately it did not. If it had, I would have put it right here on my blog, but since it is now stuck in cyberspace somewhere in the Weatherford College network, I'll just have to give a summary of what it was about.

The assignment was to write a letter to a fictitious school board, which was considering a proposal to limit extracurricular activities in the fictitious school to only those students who got at least a C in their classes. It told me to take a position on the issue, and then write a letter to the school board about it. I had fun with it, and told the imaginary school board how I thought the proposal was a really great idea, and that it would encourage everyone to study more. I even told them that I would try to get my friends to support the proposal too (haha). The letter turned out to be three paragraphs long and about 360 words, just above the minimum. They gave me a 6 on the essay, which is the best score you can get, if I understand right. And how in the world did a computer grade a writing assignment? Beats me. I'm just glad it liked it!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home